Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Oasis

I actually really love going to uni, not because like I'm a nerd but I really enjoy what I study, no matter how tough it is.

Today during criminology lecture, we were watching the show 'Oasis'. Basically the idea was to understand why homeless youths would commit crime by looking at the examples and stuff. And basically, there's this organisation, which I think is a branch of Salvation army, in Sydney, which tries to help these homeless youths.

I started watching, thinking that the youths were really scary. And that I couldn't imagine what it would be like dealing with them. But as it progressed, I think I gained something much different from others. Besides the theories and all that blah blah, the video made me see how blessed I am. To have a family that really cares about it, to not be kicked out of the house, to not have to turn to stealing just to survive, etc. In a way, I have a really wholesome environment. Plus all the more in Singapore, you don't really see this kind of things. In a way, we are all rather protected.

And then, my heart really started going out to all of them. Firstly, I felt so happy that there were people actually trying to make a difference. They could have devoted their lives to do something else, but they lived their calling, which is really amazing. Their jobs are really not easy. Like the decisions they have to make, knowing when to call the police and stuff. Like they have so much love in them, to know when is the right time to discipline, the right time to pamper and stuff.

And then, I started to feel so sorry for the youths, especially those that were forced under their given circumstances. Tears kept rolling down my cheeks and the whole video gave me like tons and tons of opportunity to just pray. Because these are real life stories, people who really need a difference made in their lives. Youths that have so much potential and a whole life ahead of them. Youths that are about my age, maybe slightly older. And then I felt so frustrated just sitting there, watching all these. I really wanted to just stand up, get out and do something for them.

Then I see how this all ties up with what I feel my calling in life is. I start to understand more and more what God has called me to do. And yeah, such videos just keeps that passion in me alive. Sometimes I really wish I can just stop studying and just go out and do something. But I guess what I'm studying can actually help. Yeah.

And I guess I can start small, like within campus.

No comments: