Sunday, June 18, 2006

Today is one of those days where by my family showed practically the whole world that we are typical singaporeans. And there's only one word to describe us today -- Kiasu!

Yeah. Today we had a father's days bbq at east coast today. The whole of my mum side went. You may all be thinking - so? how does that make your family kiasu? Trust me. It's not the early celebration that was kiasu, but it was what we brought.

This is what my family brought. We brought a table, four seater, with a huge umbrella attached. 2 chairs. (so far so good). A huge bin to fill with water to wash hands. Another table. 2 mini bbq pits. (still considered ok). A bed and a tent! like we had this small plot of land. And we practically filled it up with all our stuff. And these are just the main items. I tell you. My father is very equipped. He thought of every single minor detail. He even brough two fans, 3-4 torch lights, a lot of seasoning, a lot of food, fire starters of all sorts, light sticks, 3 lanterns(those from ikea), a lot of candles, a pump to pump out water from the container, a cooler, a bag of ice, a lot of drinks(so that we don't have any excuse to go 7 eleven to buy stuff), a flask of hot water and many many more!!!! and that's only what my family brought. But actually, that was mainly it. My uncles just brought food, a cooler for cold drinks and two more tables from my grandparents' place(which is like walking distance). And this is just a simple bbq. SO KIASU!!

Oh and because we didn't rent a bbq pit, my father brought 2 mini pits. They were like this aluminium tray, with charcoal. Yeah. So my father placed each of the pits on this cardboard box, and just as brendan and i predicted, the boxes caught fire. So with tongs, my parents brough the pits to the ground, and brendan splashed water on the burning box. And in his confusion he poured water into one of the pits, so my parents were like, now only one left. we're not going to eat. But they were so so wrong. I just happened to be faning the pit which Brendan poured water into, and surprisingly, the fire in that pit burned better than the other. HAHA. so cool la. So we borrowed bricks from the construction site near by and cooked on top of the bricks. Reminded me of OBS! Oh, and that's when all my father's seasonings came out. I was like WOW! haha. So like we ate and ate. Actually, they hardly brought any food to bbq, they brought a lot of bee hoon. Which was weird, cos they know that no one would eat it, but they still brought such food and in such a huge amount. Oh well. Yeah, and my father started giving food to the 2 people at the construction site. HAha. They were so happy la. I think they were starving.

Then my brothers and my cousins (except for me and my cousin, isabelle. the oldest and the youngest) started playing with light sticks and doing weird stuff with them. While Isabelle and I were just taking photos. I was teaching her how to use the camera. But she has no patience. So by the time the photo is taken, she moved her hand. haha. so initially, she took nothing but the ground. But she actually improved. yeah. then when all my other cousins went into the tent and started telling ghost stories, isabelle and i went around scaring them by suddenly shaking the tent. hahaha. super funny.

Yeah. Despite being so so super kiasu, which was actually good la, cos it brought about so much comfort, today's bbq was fun. Never expected it to be this fun. HAHA. I shall find another way to upload photos and do so some other time. yeah

No comments: