Thursday, February 28, 2008

Don't give up

During the past few days, I noticed something.

Ever since after O levels, there seem to be this similar trend going on among most students, whether they are having their tertiary education now or later. And it is as such...

Many find it difficult to get used to their new schools. Going to school may seem exciting and yet, there's always this fear - am I able to find friends? am I going to be able to fit in? am I going to be able to cope? and what not. At the same time, everyone seems to be leaning towards the 'depressed' side. We all tend to notice how the grass is greener on the other side, wondering what our life would be like, if we were in blah blah blah's shoes. Everything seems to be going wrong for us. Life seems to be at its worst.

And so I wonder, is this a phase of life which everyone goes through.

I went through something like that as well, and am still somewhat going through it.

When I first came to Australia, life wasn't easy. All I was thinking of was of everyone back here. I constantly wondered what it would be like if I just went to a JC or poly, basically, anywhere, but here. In my hostel, facing nothing but these four white walls, always made me realise how lonely I was. In school, I felt like an alien. Everyone seem to have their own clique, and I was just more than eager to start my own. But the question was - with who? I never felt how horrible it was to eat alone till the first few days I was here. (now it got better. yeah) And yeah, I went through a really rocky period. Going to church was never the same. Compared to back in Foochow, where I know everyone, this new church actually introduced me to the fact that I had to end up sitting alone, and have to make that effort to make friends. Yes, I've been so blessed in Singapore with so many friends, that having no friends really felt so so bad.

But the thing is this. Even though I went through what seemed like the worst time of my life, you could actually say, I survived. And through all these, I realised again, that there's really power in prayer and that Jesus wants to be your friend. That He wants you to share your problems to Him. At such moments, even though what I may want most is just a hug, I somehow felt inner peace. And I am glad to say this, I'm actually coping better than before and I know that after a while, things will take a great turn for the best.

Anyway

This whole thing also made me realise this. We have been so sheltered in our secondary schools. Ok I'm not sure about the rest, but all we mg girls were definitely well protected. Most of us having grew up together, we always had friends throughout the years. At P6, majority of us aimed to come back to mg for secondary school. And since the cut off point was only 200 for us, most of us made it back. We didn't really have to worry much, as we had so much faith that the school will take us back.

And now at this stage, we start to face rejection. We start to have to appeal, to work hard, aiming to get into a desired course. And sometimes we feel that all we've done is like, useless.

But the thing is this, no one said life was going to get easier. Studies are definitely going to be more stressful. We are all going to face more rejections. We will always think we've hit rock bottom. And then we start to run away from all these. Because we think there's no solutions, we try our utmost best to not think about it, to avoid it.So instead of avoiding all these, I guess it's time for us all to face the music. As the saying goes, 'if there's a will, there's a way' Yeah

So don't give up my friends! This is only the beginning. We must all get through this year and at the end of the year, look back at all these and feel proud that we got through it. Yeah! Plus, remember this, you're not alone. We're all in this together! :)

Ok, I don't know how I suddenly managed to type that post.hahaha. But oh well

1 comment:

-jane- said...

hi monica:) that really was a huge load of wisdom

and yup..the phase is something that all go through [mg girl or no..hehs]. to varying degree of course. take it from a older [and hopefully wiser;)] person.

continue to keep your chin up:)