Thursday, January 26, 2012

Freedom

Okay, so let's try something out. This is like just one of those moments with super random thoughts and..

Don't you ever wonder what it really means to be free?

When you walk, don't you feel like something is pulling you down? I can hear the voices screaming: "Well, duhh, there's gravity. Didn't you ever study science?" But sometimes, it feels a little more than that. Today, while walking, I felt the weight of my sins dragging me down and the bondage of sin never felt stronger. It like like vines growing out of the earth, slowly wrapping around me, trying to anchor me down, holding me to this earth. Mind you, it's not that I'm experiencing some spiritual attack nor am I 'emo'.

It makes me wonder what complete freedom feels like. Because normally when the word 'freedom' is mentioned, I just think of someone who is not in jail. But yet, there is so much more to that word. As Christians we are given the privilege to live freely in Christ; what does that really mean? I'm guessing that as a result of Jesus' death on the cross - the death that took upon our sins, our inequities - we are free because we no longer have to do worry about not being before God, because all we need to do now is to acknowledge what He did and acknowledge Him as Lord and Saviour (amen!!). Right? And in that freedom in Christ, comes pure joy, the ability to just sing and dance and praise Him. We can be who we are really created to be. We can be happy.

Yet, we don't really live like that, do we?

Today as I felt sin grabbing hold of my ankles, it made me wonder if I was able to live freely in Christ, that I would be able to just fly. I then thought of heaven to be this place that is so airy, light and free. Maybe that's why we always picture heaven to be in the clouds, because it's airy, light and free.

Because even with that ability to fly, I'd allow my human knowledge to take precedence what God can really do, i.e. excuse me, people can't fly - sin. Even if I think it's possible, I hesitate to let Him fully take control - sin. When I do fly, I feel the need to boast (but not in Christ) - sin. The list goes on.

And so, I think I really await the day that I not only come to really understand what this complete freedom is but to actually be able to experience it and live the rest of my days in such a manner. Well, till then.

No comments: