Monday, August 10, 2009

Dreams

Everyone has dreams. From young, we were all taught to dream about our future; dream about what we want, what we desire, what we hope to be.

I had such dreams. At that time, I thought my dreams were big, impossible (that was because I didn't know any better). I remembered constantly trying to count how long it would be before I finally finished all my education. It was always 6+4+2+4 years. I remembered dreaming of walking down the stage during graduation after sec 4 to collect my cert, in the ACJC blazer. I remembered dreaming of owning a big house with many dogs and hamsters(don't ask me why hamsters, I also don't know), a sound proof room, a large garden... I remembered dreaming how I would be able to learn so many other instruments and mastering each and every one of them. I dreamt of being the smartest kid in school and the most successful person in the workforce. I dreamt of getting married. I dreamt of having kids.

It's funny how a simple change in life could make me think that all those dreams were never going to be realised.

Now, I've been opened to more experiences, I've seen so much more than I could ever dream of; I've been given a chance to dream bigger. Some dreams remain the same, only grander. I dream of the most romantic wedding and the most loving family. And then there are other stuff. Call me loony, but now I dream of seeing changes in the world. I dream not of being a doctor, lawyer or Indian Chief, but instead, a missionary and going to third world countries. I dream of touching lives, of making an impact in this world, in the lives of family, friends and even those whom I don't know.

You get my point. Dreams. We all have them, some are our goals in life and some are just fantasies that we wish would just come true. And as the stages of our lives change, you realise, so do our dreams.

And I find it so silly how sometimes, when I have this whole new set of desires, this whole new exciting set of goals in front of me, that I would get held back by the fact that I would never get to experience certain stuff. I know I'm blessed, that I really won't argue with. I even dare say I'm one of the most blessed person in this world.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't want to keep letting the past hold me back. I want to be able to look to the future and really appreciate what I have.

"I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 3:13-14

No comments: